BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Big Decision...

This blog was primarily an outcome of a person i just met (she is married and has children -- so keep your thoughts to yourself, please!). Her name is Cheryl. I met her at my first Team in Training session.


What is Team in Training? TNT is a direct offspring of the Lukemia and Lymphoma Foundation. They sponsor groups several times throughout the year to run/walk half marathons, marathons, trail races, century rides (100 mile bike races), and triathlons.

I joined TNT for a few reasons (and yes, there are three!) 1) I want(ed) to get back into running. A lot! Like I used to last year where I was finishing about 25-30+ miles a week and it was a part of my day I looked forward to! Since moving, it has taken a back seat to other things. 2) I wanted to run my first marathon. Ever since I finished my first half marathon 2 years ago, I have wanted to run a full 26.2 mile race. And 3) my Uncle Deckard (my mom's brother) died from Lukemia and I know how it affected my family during that time and how it is affecting other families. It also gets me back to my community service roots that have long needed some tending to since moving south.

Team in Training usually happens closer to larger cities (aka - there are none in WV) and since I am close to Fayetteville, NC, I did some searching and BAM... a new session started within 2 weeks of my initial search. I signed up and there you go.

My first meeting was amazing -- that is the only word I know to use. The coaches, mentors, honor buddies, etc. were very encouraging and really put forth the effort to talk to you. It was very much appreciated! I sat in the front row (of course! -- I did learn something from college!) and instantly struck up a conversation with the two people sitting next ti me: Cheryl and Jennifer. Both live in Fayetteville and Cheryl is a teacher while Jennifer works for a law firm. They both decided to run the Kiawah Island Marathon and Half Marathon, respectfully. I on the other hand took a "If you are going to do this... GO BIG" approach and decided to run the Disney Marathon on January 10, 2010.

With the first meeting complete, it was time to veg out and prepare for the kick-off party a week later.

More to follow!

CB

0 comments: